Saturday, August 6, 2011

Work in progress

I've been doing a lot of surfing around, trying to find any tips or advice I can get on drawing, shading, and any techniques that I can find. Shading has been my main focus this week, and I feel some good progress has been made. My secret weapon? A tissue. Somewhere in my travels I read that a tissue can help create perfect skin tones when blending, and I am so glad I found that out.

I've also been working a lot on slowly building values up, working from light to dark, and better placement of my shading. It's amazing how just one or two (properly placed) shadows can bring a picture to life, or totally define the expression on someone's face. Achieving the realistic quality I want in my art is going to depend on my skill in shading - I've always known that, but now I feel I have a good foundation of knowledge to practice on.

But... now I'm going to be moving on to a subject that scares me to no end..... Hair.

As I'm sure you saw in the title, this drawing I've been working on is just a work in progress. I've cropped the picture above a little bit, because I don't want to reveal the unfinished parts yet. Such as the hair. Drawing realistic hair... I don't even know what to say about it. My first attempt turned out, well, just okay. Not really realistic looking, or what I was going for in any way, but still achieved a slightly cool effect that resembles hair. I don't think I totally botched it to the point of giving up in despair, it's just going to take a lot(!) of practice to get it down before I try and draw out the hair in the picture above.

That's all for now. Please feel free to comment and let me know what you think. Critiques are always welcome!

Thanks for reading!

--Will

No comments:

Post a Comment